Elgar, Sir Edward: Duett for trombone and double bass
Edited by Rodney Slatford
The duet was composed as a wedding gift to Frank Weaver, a brother of Helen Weaver to whom the composer had been engaged some four years earlier, and presented to him on 1 August 1887 when he married Fannie Jones. Weaver was about a year older than Elgar; he was a shoemaker and an amateur double bass player, and Elgar played the trombone. Frank and Helen Weaver were among the children of William Weaver, a shoe merchant whose shop was in Worcester High Street, opposite Elgar’s father’s music shop.
The manuscript was inherited by one of Frank Weaver’s sons and was eventually published in this edition in 1970.