skip to Main Content

George Blackmore (1921–1994)

George Blackmore received his early musical training as a cathedral chorister in his native Rochester in Kent, but soon switched his interests to the theatre organ, becoming a well-known performer and composer for the instrument.

He served at the Gaumont Cinema, Birmingham, and in 1950 became the last resident organist at the Astoria and Capital cinemas in Aberdeen. A varied career took him, in the late 1950s to the London publisher Bosworth, as composer and arranger. Thereafter, with the gathering movement for the preservation of theatre organs, he found himself in great demand for concerts throughout the world.

Back To Top